top of page

Police News 11-04-14

Woman Who Violated No Contact Order Arrested

(Canton, IL) -- A Canton woman is facing charges of violating a no contact order after being found in a car with the victim over the weekend. Canton police say they stopped the vehicle for failing to signal Saturday night at 9:45 in the 200 block of West Chestnut Street. The driver of the vehicle was identified as 40-year old Misty L. Beaird. A 29-year old Male, also from Lewistown, was a passenger in the vehicle. The man had a no contact order against Beaird at the time they were found together in the vehicle. Beaird was also unable to provide police with proof of insurance for the vehicle. She was arrested and taken to the Canton Police Department where she was processed on charges of violating a no contact order and operating an uninsured motor vehicle. Beaird was unable to post bond and was later taken to the Fulton County Jail in Lewistown.

Canton Police File Drug Charges Against Canton Woman

(Canton, IL) -- A Canton woman is facing drug charges after Canton police conducted a traffic stop over the weekend. Police say they stopped the vehicle for not having a front registration plate Saturday night at the intersection of 2nd Avenue and East Chestnut Street at just before 11:45. After making the stop, police identified the driver as a 26-year old Canton man. Canton police were assisted at the scene by the Fulton County Sheriff's Departments K-9, Bolo, who alerted on the vehicle. A passenger in the car, identified as 50-year old Denene M. Hunt was found to be in possession of marijuana that was in a plastic baggy. Hunt was arrested and taken to the Canton Police Department where she was processed on a charge of possession of cannabis under 2.5 grams. She was given a notice to appear and released. Hunt was given a November Fulton County Court date in Lewistown.

9-1-1 Call About Motorists Leads To Canton Mans Arrest

(Canton, IL) -- A Canton man is facing charges following a traffic stop late last week in Canton. According to the police report, dispatch received a 9-1-1 call of a possible DUI driver that was last seen on Linn Street near 5th Avenue. Police located the vehicle turning onto Beech Street from South Main. Officers made the traffic stop and identified the driver as 63-year old Monte L. Lutz. Police detected an odor of alcohol coming from Lutz and conducted several field sobriety test, which he allegedly failed. He was arrested and taken to the Canton Police Department where he was processed on charges of DUI, DUI over .08 and for driving with an expired registration. Lutz posted his driver's license and a $100 cash bond as well as a $20 processing fee before being released. He was given a December Fulton County Court date in Lewistown.

CFD Investigates Monday Morning Fire

(Canton, IL) -- An early morning fire in Canton occurred Monday morning was investigated by the Canton Fire Department. Firefighters from the Canton were dispatched to the home located at 633 Custer Place at just after 12:15 yesterday morning. Upon arrival crews found smoke coming from the eves and the rear of the residence. The fire was located in the rear of the residence in the kitchen. A Box Alarm 401 was called bringing off duty firefighters to the scene for additional manpower. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in about 10 minutes. Crews remained on the scene looking for extension of the fire as well as hot spots. Canton Fire Investigators deemed the fire electrical in nature. Assisting the Canton Fire Department were the Canton Police Department, Copperas Creek Fire Department, Fulton County Emergency Medical Association and Ameren Illinois.

Trial Underway In Fatal Accident Case

(Peoria, IL) -- A Peorian who was indicted in regard to a fatal accident that happened close to the Peoria County Jail is now on trial. 24-year old Spencer Flier was charged with one count of failure to report an accident involving death in August of this year. Peoria police say that two people died as a result of the accident. A Girard man and a Carlinville woman were riding a motorcycle at the time of the accident and were thrown from it. Police say that both victims were not wearing helmets. The trial started yesterday.

Fire Destroys Home

(Peoria, IL) -- A home located on NE Madison was destroyed in a weekend fire in Peoria. Firefighters say they were dispatched to the fire early on Saturday morning at about 3 where they found the back of the residence fully engulfed by flames. Three adult residents of the home were able to make it out safely, flagging down someone so 9-1-1 could be called. Peoria Fire Investigators are continuing to look into the blaze.

Accident Victim Identified

(Peoria, IL) -- The victim of a weekend fatal accident in Peoria has been identified. Authorities say 31-year old Tarus Watkins died as a result of the accident that occurred Sunday morning at about 4 at the intersection of Warren Street and Aiken Avenue. Watkins was found trapped inside the vehicle after it had struck a utility pole at the intersection. The Peoria County Coroner's office pronounced Watkins dead at the scene.

Judge Denies New Trial For Hickory Street Murder Suspect

(Joliet, ILL) -- A Will County judge on Monday denied motions for a new trial by one of the four young people convicted in the murders of two young men during a robbery early last year. The judge rejected defense arguments yesterday that there wasn't enough evidence to show Bethany McKee was part of the planning of the robbery in a home on Hickory Street that ended in the deaths of Eric Glover and Terrance Rankins in January, 2013. McKee will be sentenced tomorrow to a state-mandated term of life.

Teen Siblings Wanted To Join ISIS With Brother

(Chicago, IL) -- The siblings of a Chicago-area teen accused of trying to join ISIS may have been planning to go with him. That revelation from federal prosecutors came at a detention hearing yesterday for Mohammed Hamzah Khan. His 17-year-old sister and 16-year-old brother have not been charged, though prosecutors say they went with Khan to O'Hare Airport where they were all arrested last month trying to fly to Vienna en route to Turkey allegedly to meet a contact from the terrorist group. The judge ordered Khan held without bail.

bottom of page